2015 Reads: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi || Reading Rapunzel Review

3:09:00 PM



Goodreads Review: October 2015
Rapunzel's Rating: 3.75/5


Shatter Me: First novel in the Shatter Me
Trilogy by Tahereh Mafi
I went into "Shatter me" by Tahereh Mafi with some prior knowledge on the plot and even more on it's generous amounts of praise from the YA community. Everyone believed this series was worth while. Although I came across many 4-5 star reviews, as always, I decided to check this book out for myself. Let me tell you, the hype is definitely justified. We follow a girl named Juliette who lives in a post-apocalyptic world. She has been locked up in an asylum by "The Reestablishment", a dystopian government that has promised to "reestablish" the broken society, for almost a year. She was thrown into a cell due to an unexplainable power that she wields. Juliette's touch is deadly, and she is feared. The story begins to take off when one day she gets a cell-mate named Adam. We get to experience Juliette's deepest thoughts and feelings firsthand in a unique writing style made up of crossed out lines.
I decided to give this book 3.75 stars. Even though this is low, I want you guys to hear me out. A readers feelings towards this book will rely on your preferences in a good story. Do you like plot? D you like characters? Do you like Romance? Do you like Love Triangles? (no). Personally, If I give a book a 4/5 star rating or higher, you could assume that book included:

-Character depth or reliability

-Interesting/captivating plot and decent execution

-Twists, unexpected events, and so on.

-Magic or any element that makes the book unique


Shatter Me Series:
Shatter Me, Unravel Me, Ignite Me
So please listen to me when I say "Shatter Me" IS TOTALLY WORTH THE READ. I will admit, Tahereh kept me interested throughout the duration of the novel and, the plot was nothing short of genius. Mafi, effortlessly created this world were a girl can kill a man with the simple touch of her bare skin... doesn't that scream intriguing? And talk about girl power to the extreme! Of course I had to read this series eventually!
Now why did I give this book 3 stars? Although I loved the storyline and the book was fantastic... the characters were just okay. In order for a book to completely blow me away, I must absolutely fall in love with at least one character (what can I say? I'm a character kind of gal). In "Shatter me" the characters were good, but not 5 star worthy. Our main character, Juliette, is obviously hard to relate to.. She's been isolated for almost a year! Although this is true, I found it extremely fascinating to read from her point of view. As for Adam, I'm not going to lie in the slightest:

I DID enjoy his character. I loved that he was sweet, kind, and protective of Juliette. I saw everything expected of a typical love interest in Adam, and ultimately his personality wasn't too bad.

I definitely had mixed emotions about Warner, one of the leaders of the Reestablishment. Sometimes I loved him, and sometimes I hated him. I'm very intrigued by his intentions and I would love to find out about his early life/parents (which isn't discussed in detail.)

I really did like Kenji, a soldier for the Reestablishment. He had a great way of lightening up the book with a bit of humor
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Over all, I feel the characters could have been improved. I'm really hoping for some character development and world building in the next installment! If you are not big on characters, you will most likely rate this book higher than I did.

Something I really enjoyed was the unique writing style that Tahereh Mafi created for the voice of Juliet. Throughout the book you can find thoughts, ideas, and dialogue crossed out by Juliette herself. Although some may find this annoying, I really loved it! It was very cool to see into Juliette's thought process while reading.

If you have trouble getting into slow books, this series might not be for you. Most of the best scenes (in my opinion) are towards the middle and the end of the book. I believe getting through the slower parts of the book are absolutely worth it in the end. The book was honestly entertaining and I hope that in the following books, (which i'm super excited to read) there will be plenty of action in early chapters. Overall, I enjoyed this book and do plan on continuing the series. (I've already bought the whole series lol). I would defiantly recommend this book to all of you reading this, so don't let my 3 star (almost 4!) rating confuse you!



~Have you read Shatter Me? What was your favorite part? Let me know in the comments down below!


Want to check out the "Shatter Me" series by Tahereh Mafi? Find it here:

Goodreads


-Rapunzel xx

My Links: Come chat!



*Follow my BlogLovin' account for weekly updates on my blog!*BlogLovin'

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Physical Copy or Ebook?

Most Anticipated Reads 2016

  • A Court Of Mist and Fury
  • A Torch Against The Night
  • Frost Like Night
  • Furthermore
  • Glass Sword
  • Replica
  • The Unexpected Everything

Subscribe