An Ember in the Ashes by Sabba Tahir Review

3:32:00 PM

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabba Tahir is a YA fantasy novel filled to the brim with exquisite characters, exceptional writing, and a compelling plot. Although the excessive amount of praise for this book was extremely intimidating, I was very releaved when it met-exceeded-all of my expectations.



This story, told from two alternating perspectives, is set in an era similar to ancient Rome. Ever since the defeat of the Scholars, the Martial Empire rules over the land and its people. 
Brutal soldiers, called Masks, 
guard the empire and help maintain order.

After the death of her parents long ago, Laia leads a difficult life as a Scholar. Working alongside her grandparents and her brother, she practices to one day become a healer.

Elias is a soldier at Blackliff Academy. He has trained since early childhood to be skilled, strong, and ruthless-A Mask.



When several Masks raid Laia's home to arrest her brother for suspected treason, she is distraught and helpless. In order to save her brother, she must become a slave.

Meanwhile at Blackliff Academy, Elias' well anticipated graduation approaches. He begins to realize he desperately desires freedom from those who forced him into cruelty. Helpless, he makes a plan to escape the academy.

An Ember in the Ashes follows these two characters as their stories unravel.



I don't actually think anyone will ever understand how much I cherished this book, like honestly it was so good. Believe me when I tell you, this is absolutely worth the read!!

Also, Sabaa Tahir is amazing! I tweet her all the time and she is incredibly lovely and sweet. Not only is this true, but her writing blew me away! She is so so talented which easily explains why I loved every second of this book.



As you may know, characters are personally very important to me. I tend to be quite skeptical about my feelings towards them when starting a new novel. With An Ember in the Ashes, this was not at all a problem. Sabaa truly did such a phenomenal job at creating Elias and Laia.

Elias will make you swoon!! He was very mysterious and intriguing. It was especially exciting to learn about his early life, relationship with Helen (fellow Mask in training), and his feelings towards his mother. As for Laia, she had a unique tone to her prose that made her special in my eyes. I devoured her chapters almost instantly, and I'm 99.9% sure that I could read thousands of pages in her point of view. Not only is her value of family incredibly inspiring, she was even willing to sacrifice herself into slavery if it ment saving her brother, Darin. Throughout the entire book, Laia repeatedly reminds herself of her goal: save Darin, save Darin, save Darin. I'm extremely impressed with Sabaa's ability to instill so much love into one character. *Slow claps for the mastermind that is, Sabaa Tahir*

Also, Helen was such a badass, and I loved everything about her. I don't even think it is necessary to elaborate.



So many heart wrenching moments towards the end of this book, I actually screamed at some parts (one time at school, which in fact was quite embarrassing. I blame Sabaa). Imagine someone taking their bare hand, sticking it deep in your chest, clutching your heart, and ripping it right out; that's how this book will make you feel (Don't worry, it's a good heart ache).



I'm very pleased and extremely proud to say that I found one of my new favorite books and an author that inspires me to write half (probably way less) as well as she can (If I'm lucky). I am absolutely excited for the next installment of the trilogy.



If by any chance this gets to Sabaa, I want her to know that I am forever thankful. Thank you for writing such an amazing piece of art I was truly blessed by this book. You must have magical writing powers I swear!! This novel is well deserving of every single star I gave it.(5..... duh!)



"You have a soul. It's damaged, but it's there. Don't let them take that's from you"



"You are an ember in the ashes. You will spark and burn, ravage and destroy. You cannot change it. You cannot stop it."

Go read An Ember in the Ashes and let me know what you think!!



-Rapunzel xx

Links
-Twitter: https://twitter.com/readingrapunzel

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Physical Copy or Ebook?

Most Anticipated Reads 2016

  • A Court Of Mist and Fury
  • A Torch Against The Night
  • Frost Like Night
  • Furthermore
  • Glass Sword
  • Replica
  • The Unexpected Everything

Subscribe